Sunday, October 26, 2008

This N That

I took my first $33 pill Friday night. Most nights I do not sleep well, but I slept well Friday night. Sat. morning, Brian and I got up and got ready to go to our grandson’s birthday party. We picked up Kevin around 12:45 and had a wonderful time at Joshua’s 7th birthday party. He is so sweet and loving. Our grandkids, Joshua and Melissa, are such a joy in our lives.
We took Kevin to work at 4 p.m. and went home. I was exhausted when we got home at 4:30 so after I helped Brian get settled I laid down to read and maybe take a nap. I ended up going right to sleep and other than helping Brian a couple of times, I slept the night away, getting up at 10 a.m. this morning. I thought maybe the Letairis was at fault for my extreme fatigue but I am much better today. I haven’t had any other effects of Letairis (knock on wood).
Fatigue is a major concern for me. I tried to explain to one of my doctors once that some days I am so tired, it is too hard to hold my head on my shoulders. Sleep is another problem. I have always been a night owl. Since Brian has been off work he has gradually come over to the dark side too. I try to go to bed by 2 a.m. or else I get Brian and Belle, our cat, telling me it is time for bed. Brian used to go right to sleep and I take a vicodin and read until my body settles down enough to let me sleep, usually after a couple of hours. Sometimes I think I am ready to sleep, turn off my bedside lamp and immediately I am wide awake again. Some days I don’t get to sleep until 9 a.m. or later. Then I will sleep for 10 or 12 hours at a time.
For about the last week or more, Brian has been having trouble falling asleep. He gets in bed, then he will get out of bed, then in and out and in and out. He kind of wanders a bit but doesn’t know what he wants or needs. After a bit he will finally settle down and sleep. Some Alzheimer’s patients have a tendency to take off and wander outside of their home, getting lost in the process. I have always thought Brian would not be a wanderer but now I wonder if Brian’s behavior now is indicative of a wandering soul in the future. It isn’t just when he goes to bed that he is up and down, he doesn’t seem to be able to sit still for long either and is up and down and walking around a lot in the daytime too. If this is all I have to complain about today, then life is good!

3 comments:

Jacey said...

When Cliff and I first met, he was definitely a night owl. Because of my work schedule, I am usually up pretty early in the morning. We have had to learn to compromise on our bedtime. At first, I could tell that Cliff hated going to bed earlier than his internal clock wanted him to, but he grudgingly went. Fortunately, I think he has acclimated, as he usually says to me, "time for bed, babe?" It's still around 11 o'clock, but it could be worse. That's our compromise - he wants midnight, I want 10, so 11 it is.

Dee Dee Hunt said...

It is hard when you live with someone because my energy and my creativity don't kick in until late at night. I have always been this way. Brian is pretty flexible as there was a time when he had to work nights and we didn't see each other except on the weekends. Much as I don't like the reason, I do love having him home with me.

Anonymous said...

hi-my first blog comment!! I also perfer the night life. Well not exactly the times I do make it up in the early a.m. It seems so quite, fresh, and peaceful outside. But not enough for me to get up for regularly. I have a bad habit of waking up in the middle of the night and watching tv, of course then I don't want to get up for work. I think my bigest complaint is my need for so many hrs. of sleep each night at least 9misti