Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Monday, October 20, 2008
Motorized Wheelchairs
I love my motorized wheelchair. With my avascular necrosis, somedays it hurts so badly to move, let alone walk. And to breathe and walk at the same time...well that is a laugh. To breathe and laugh at the same time...well....anyway, my motorized wheelchair is so great around the house. And it is so very comfortable, too. But what kind of company makes a motorized wheelchair that doesn't fit in a normal car. Yes, while my wheelchair is great at home, I can not take it with me. I have a regular wheelchair that will fit in my trunk, but it is bulky and heavy. And it needs to be pushed which Brian can not do any more. Oh, he can push ok, but he can not maneuver it or understand my directions. My motorized wheelchair would be so wonderful out in the real world. The makers don't come out and tell you that it won't fit in a normal car, you have to find out the hard way. My doctor ordered it, A Kaiser healthcare professional came out to my home, interviewed me, confirmed that I needed one and ordered it. The healthcare professional told me to let my landlord know I needed a ramp for it since every other apartment building has wheelchair ramp access except mine. I guess by law the apartment building has to have so many spaces for so many apartments. My apartment manager showed me an article in an apartment rental magazine that said apartment owners did not have to build ramps for their tenants. She said that to put in a handicap ramp would run $3,500 and that I could do it if I wanted to, but the money would have to go into an escrow account first. Now, I am sorry, Miss Landlady, I do not have $3,500 but you do have about $2000 of our money on deposit. Seems like we could reach a compromise, but no can do....so even if I could get the chair into my car, I don't have a ramp. If I could figure out how to get the chair into my car, I could buy a portable ramp that I could use if space was available. Anyway, I digress....watch the ads for those motorized chairs. They state how wonderful they are for maneuverability in your home. And I tell you, it is so wonderful, it really is...but no where does it state it doesn't work in a car. Easy, you say....Get another car. Yes, I could but this car will be paid for sooner rather than later and another car just means a new loan. I am able to drive now, but with the avascular necrosis in my hips, that may not be a possibility down the line. So, while having the chair with me when I go out would be nice, I can get by without it for now so I just have taken a wait and see attitude. I guess if it works, don't try to fix it.

1 comment:

Jacey said...

As I left on your myspace version of this blog, I once knew a girl who had family in the military. She said these family members could make a person disappear without anyone being the wiser. I think this would be a valid solution to your landlady situation.

Do you want me to get you her number?