Thursday, January 22, 2009

Flat Tire (not the beer!)

The other day, I was taking an older friend of mine to her hairdresser, the bank and the store. I do this once a week since she cannot drive any more. Brian was with me and we were enjoying the warm sunny day. On the way from her house to her hairdressers, my car started making a funny noise. After I dropped her off, I pulled out to find a place that could check my car and find out what the noise was. I was afraid it was a transmission problem and would be very costly. I had to pull back in to the hairdresser’s parking lot as the noise was so bad, it was scary. My front tire had split from the metal part of the wheel (my technical terms) and I needed to change my flat tire. I have never done this before but I was grateful that it wasn’t anything worse like the tranny. Brian didn’t remember how to do it so I went inside for help. There were women and one happy (gay) man working on hair. The happy man came out to see what he could do, which was the same as me....nothing. He had never changed a tire and didn’t even know how to work the jack. So I used the phone book to call a tow truck to come change my flat. The charge was $60 which I didn’t have. So I went back outside and told Brian we would try to do it ourselves. Luckily there were directions with the spare, and an hour later, we had the tire changed. I put the tire iron on the lug nuts and Brian was able to loosen them for me and tighten them when we put the new tire on the car. The hardest part was getting up off the ground from my seated position. We were so pleased that we were able to conquer the flat tire by working together. We always say that I am the brains and Brian is the brawn. Together we almost make a whole person!

1 comment:

Jacey said...

I am totally impressed. Whenever I get a flat I just call my dad. Cliff felt really bad when he got your message. He would have been happy to help, but he was at work when you called and didn't get the message until the end of his shift at 9:30PM. I'm glad you thought of him, though.