Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Best Man Won!

I am so looking forward to a new President and a change in administration. I voted for Obama because I think he is the one to change the future of our country, not because of his race. Brian and I have liked him since we saw him on Oprah two years ago and have followed him since. It disturbs me that so many Black people seem to think the win for Obama was about race when for me it had nothing to do with race. Being white and living on the Pacific coast has enabled me to live a life free of most of the racism found in the south. There is no way I can understand the mind of a Black person who has lived with racism and sees Obama’s win as a win for the Black population. I just hope that some of those people know that we voted for the person who we felt was right for the job and don’t see racism as an issue. How can we go forward and abolish racism when so many of those who cry racial discrimination are overjoyed to point out the racial differences of our new President?

2 comments:

Jacey said...

I agree with you whole heartedly. Now I do think that the black community has every right to be thrilled that the first black President has been elected. That's pretty frickin' cool. But they make up only a fraction of the voting community, so there are plenty more people out there who voted, as you said, for the "best man"

Now, I would just like to go on the record and say that back in 2004 when my parents and I were watching the Democratic National Convention and he came on and did the eynote speech, I had never heard of him before but I turned and said to my parents, "I'm voting for him when he runs for President." Ask my mom; I called it.

My final word...did you see the Hawaiian beach photos? Mmmmmm, he made be a better looking President than my beloved Bill! In fact, he totally is (but I still love Bill all the same!)!

Dee Dee Hunt said...

I do think Obama is the handsomest President since JFK. I also believe he has better ethics than JFK and could become our greatest President ever!