Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas

Brian has always helped me shop for Christmas presents. When Wendy and Kevin were little, we would go to Toys R Us the day after Thanksgiving and shop for them. Brian and I would each have a cart, one for each of the kids and we could fill them up for about $100. each. I admit, that was 25 plus years ago. Brian always went shopping by himself for me. He always got me beautiful clothes and accessories. He has wonderful taste. He would bring his shopping home and delighted in showing his gifts to Kim and close friends. He wrapped his gifts himself and I had so much fun opening them on Christmas morning. Of course those days are over. I no longer work and need nice buisness clothes. Sweats are the norm now. The past few years, Kim has taken Brian to do his shopping and then she wraps his gifts for him. Brian has been fretting for the past two months over what he wants to get me for Christmas. He worries he doesn’t know what to do. I always assure him that Kim will help him and he is satisfied for that moment. We get paid the week of Christmas so Brian has to wait until then to do his shopping. Kim is off work that week so that works out fine. With all the other problems Brian could fret about, that he frets about Christmas Shopping for me makes me cry. It has never been what he has gotten me, but that he takes so much pleasure and makes such a wonderful effort to make sure Christmas is fun for me. That is one of the reasons I have always loved Brian so much.

3 comments:

Jacey said...

I used to wrap Nana's gifts every year and she gave me $10. I didn't really care about making the money, but I liked being able to do it for her. It has made me love wrapping presents. I was just thinking about this the other day when I was wrapping presents - I thought about Nana and how much I miss them this time of ear.

Dee Dee Hunt said...

This time of year always makes me miss Nana and Papa and both of my parents. We had such wonderful Christmas's toghether. It wasn't the gifts, it was the laughter, the warmth and the love that flowed over us. We are so lucky to have such wonderful memories.

Brian said...

I remember one Christmas at your house Dee Dee when you guys had that big white fence to surround all the presents to keep them under the tree. It think that year was your 25th wedding anniversary, becuase Brian bought you a new diamond ring and hid it in a Cracker Jack box. He was so pleased with his wrapping/hiding job! I also liked how you guys always wrapped things in newspaper. Seemed so cool and unique.