Thursday, February 5, 2009

New Year, New Problems

The new year has started and so has my 2009 drug plan. Caring voices has given me a grant again for Letaris but all the paperwork, etc. still has to be completed. Meanwhile, since I am on Letaris, I cannot stop it until all the t’s are crossed and i’s are dotted. (I didn’t start the drug last year until all of this was done.) So I had to pay a portion of my co-payment now and will be reimbursed. I do not mind this, but it makes me short on our rent again, something our landlord has told us cannot happen again. We had problems with social security and getting our checks during a period last year and were late on our rent then. Even with letters from social security stating they were fixing the problem, our landlord was not understanding. He hasn’t been understanding about my need for a wheelchair and a wheelchair ramp to get onto the sidewalk to get to my apartment, even though our building is the only building without one. He has a $2000. deposit of ours that I hoped would help him understand our predicament now. But I think he would like to get rid of us because of the ADA concerns we may have in the future. It is such a shame because we love our place and Brian is very comfortable here. To move would be hard for him since familiarity is important to people with Alzheimer’s. We are neither one in good health to make a move and the packing that comes with it. It is so frustrating! We finally have our social security checks coming to us in a timely manner, and our finances stable. I don’t know how others with medical bills do it. We do have good health coverage with Kaiser and now can manage the day to day costs. By this time next year, when I will have to come up with part of the co-payment for letaris again for the new year, we should have a cushion saved up to cover it. But right now, we don’t. Any ideas or suggestions on how to cope with this would be appreciated.

No comments: